Thursday, September 6, 2012

Update
It was a rough day for the little man yesterday. Always hard to see him in pain and struggle, so it was tough. He is doing really good with everything from surgery, it is just his pain and comfort we are working on now. They were able to get some of the lines out, his central line and RA line. He is still on a bit of oxygen and still has the two chest tubes in to help drain. His face is still really swollen from this type of surgery. He is getting extra blood flow to his upper extremities, so we are told his face and head will be swollen for some time. He doesn't look like my sweet little boy anymore, he looks like he's in pain and uncomfortable. It's so hard to look at my poor baby, in pain and all swollen. He's so precious though, and I love him just the same.
It was hard to see him go through his pain bursts. He knows we are there and I just want to hold him and take all his hurts away. But he is so strong and such a trooper, he amazes me everyday. I love him so much.

After his tough day yesterday, we were able to come back after dinner and spend some good time with him. I was able to finally hold him. He slept for a good while, which he needed. I think he missed me. I'm just glad I can help him out anyway I can. I was so happy to have him in my arms again. I'm so lucky to be his mom. He is such an inspiration and example to me. We were also able to feed him. He is eating really well with the bottle. Better than he ever has. 




Today was a better day with some things and others not so great. He had a better day with pain management. I feel like we finally were able to get on top of that. He seemed to sleep most of the day and recover well. Today they were able to take out one of his chest tubes that help drain some of the extra fluid from surgery. They took the one out that bothers him the least, so he is still really uncomfortable with the chest tubes along the side of his ribs and lungs. They did have to put his feeding tube back in. He just didn't have the strength to eat all his food. He ate quite a bit by mouth, but just couldn't stay awake for all of it. He needs all the strength and calories he can get right now, so it's a good thing that he has the tube. Once he feels better, we might have better luck with the feeds.
They were able to move us up onto the 3rd floor in the recovery section. Good and bad. Good we are on track for recovery. We have our own room. We can sleep by him all night. Bad because the nurses aren't by his side all day and night. We don't have a window in our room. We didn't have a bed, until we asked the night shift for one. 
I am so blessed to have Andrew as a husband and Harper's dad. He is so good to him and takes such good care of both of us. Andrew wants to sleep next to him tonight, so we plan on taking shifts staying next to him. It's hard not having someone by his side at night so we don't dare leave now. When he was younger it was easier to leave because he didn't know the difference as much. Now he knows, so we try to stay here as much as possible.
Overall, it was a good day and it's better to see him more comfortable with the pain medication.




No comments:

Post a Comment